Monkey Bread with Rhodes Dinner Rolls

The last couple months I’ve been hearing a ton of talk about Monkey Bread and it always looked sooooo good! When I found out that The Pioneer Women featured it awhile back, I knew I HAD to try it. Have you seen her blog and cookbook? ALL her recipes turn out delicious and are easy to do – she is my hero 🙂

Now, I usually follow every recipe by the book, but there was one small problem here… She used the pre-made biscuits 🙁 For some reason, I don’t really like those, they always leave a funny taste in my mouth… But I knew I LOVED Rhodes Dinner Rolls, so I experimented a little and after a couple of tries, it turned out perfect! Here’s a look at what I did:
Gather your ingredients.
First, open the bag of rolls up and let them thaw out for about an hour.
Mix the sugar and cinnamon together. You could also do this in a zip lock bag.
Grease your pan. I used a 13 x 19.
Cut your rolls into 1/4. First time I tried this, I did 1/2, and they turned out bigger than one bite… even though the 1/4 will look small, they grow when they bake!
Put the quartered rolls into the cinnamon sugar mix.
Mix them up 🙂
Pull the coated pieces out and put them in the 13 x 19 pan.
This shows how close your going to cut it with your cinnamon sugar mix, it’s just enough! The little bit that is left, I sprinkled over the top of the rolls in the pan.
Yuuuummmmy!
Okay, start melting the evidence… I mean butter 🙂
The brown sugar goes into the butter and needs to cook until the sugar and butter combine together, about 2 minutes… depends on how hot your heat is.
This is what it should look like!
Now, pour the mixture over the sugary rolls. Try to get it as even as possible.
Ta da! It’s ready for the oven!
Wait. Had to get a close up shot 🙂
I baked this batch for 35 minutes. The first batch I baked for 20 minutes and it was pretty doughy. Baking for 35 minutes makes the tops a little crunchy, but everyone said it was better this way.

Notice how close the rolls and sauce come to spilling over the pan? Best to put something on the rack below so you don’t make a mess in the oven.
Here they are! Are you getting hungry, yet?

In true Pioneer Women fashion, and because I love how she does this, I now must tempt you even more 🙂
See how the sugar cinnamon mix completely coats them? This makes them pull apart so easily.
And, really, the fork is just for the photo 🙂 at this point I wasn’t wasting time eating them using a fork 🙂
Yes, totally okay to lick the plate, I won’t tell anyone!
Another close up 🙂
Uh oh! I told everyone they could try ONE before the company arrived… Who tried more than 10?!!

Recipe:

Ingredients:
36 Rhodes Dinner Rolls, thawed
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon

1 1/2 cubes of butter
1 cup brown sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350

Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Cut the rolls into 1/4 pieces and coat each piece in the sugar/cinnamon mix. Lay the coated rolls into a greased 13 x 19 casserole dish.

Melt the butter on the stove over med. heat. Once melted, pour in the cup of brown sugar and stir constantly. When the butter and sugar have combined (about 2 minutes), pour this mixture over the rolls in the pan.

Cook them in the oven for 35 minutes – these will come very close to spilling over when they bake, so if possible, protect your oven with a pan on the rack below.

Try to let them cool a little before diving in 😉 They are best when warm. Enjoy!

Comments

1. love monkey bread! I use to make it all the time growing up. I learned it in Home Economics class. Yours looks so yummy!! I’m going to have to go make some. Thank you for sharing.
    Liz

2. Samantha says

confession: I have never tried monkey bread…
    my mom is not a baker, nor am I , but I know what I am making this Saturday morning…..Ooo-oooo, ah-ah(um, those are monkey sounds). Thanks for the recipe!

3. Jennifer says

That looks so delicious! I’ve never seen it made.

**mouth watering**

4. Jenni says

OH YUM. Don’t you love how Pioneer Woman uses like 3434234 sticks of butter per recipe! ha! This looks fabulous and i love how you changed it a little! ALSO love your vintage-y plates… so pretty!

5. Stephanie says

Those look fantastic! I’m going to give this a try…however, I might try making half a batch. That looks like a lot for a family of 4! 🙂

• Jenn says

I wouldn’the overestimate it. My family of 4 finished almost that whole thing in a day! What was left made great leftovers! 🙂

6. Lynsey says

My mom used to make this in bundt pans and put it on a cake stand in the middle of the table. It just dressed it up a little bit and make it look oh so cool on the middle of the table.

7. Cynthia B. says

Thanks for the recipe! Looks easy AND delicious!!

8. Eveline says

Oh yummy, yummy!
    Eveline.

9. kymmie says

oooh that looks SO scrumptious

10. you can also use “pop” or canned biscuits instead of the rhodes rolls. Cut them in quarters just like the rolls. Soooo yummy!!!

11. Tanstar says

Ohhh that looks yummy, but in OZ we don’t have the rhodes rolls not even sure what would compare… so I will just drool over your piccies. thanks

• Jill says

I just made monkey bread over the weekend before I found this recipe and I used 3 cans of buttermilk biscuits. They work great!

12. beida-fish says

this looks amazing! I have one question. How many tablespoons or cups should I measure for the butter?

• Rachel says

I just tried making this recipe. We’ll see how it turns out. 1 1/2 cubes of butter, I’m only assuming is 1.5TBS..? Right? Well, that wasn’t anywhere near enough for 1 cup of brown sugar. I ended up using an entire stick of butter and that didn’t even look like it was enough. But I stopped at a stick. It was barely pourable overtop of the dough pieces. Again, we’ll see how this turns out.

• Elle Price says

It is 1.5 cubes of butter… not TBS, so that would be 12 TBS of butter 😉

• Elle Price says

12 TBS of butter 🙂

13. Diana says

I put it in a bundt pan…great shape and looks great when it falls out of the pan…cook a little longer…

14. barbc72 says

I’m making these right now, but I’m adding raisins and pecans.

15. Unknown says

Thanks for your great post featuring Rhodes dough! Please feel free to call our customer service line for a coupon. 1-800-876-7333. Thanks again! From your Rhodes Social Media Manager

16. Jess says

Can anyone tell me how much a cube of butter is?

• Susan B. says

Half a cube of butter is 1/4 cup. 1cube of butter is 1/2 cup. 2 cubes of butter is 1 cup. Also on the each of the wrapped butter/margarine there is a measurement guide on the wrapper. Hope this clears up any confusion on measurements.

17. Jenny says

I’ve tried lots of recipes for monkey bread and this by far one of the best. Just simple ingredients!!! This is the one my family likes the best.

18. Loa says

Did you leave the rolls to rise or put them directly into the oven?
    Thank you for the recipe.

• Sandra Gunter says

Do the rolls need to rise after pouring the butter mixture?

19. Just saw these on FB and I can’t wait to try them! They look way better than the monkey bread with canned biscuits!

20. Sara says

Did you really use a 13×19 pan? That seems huge and I have never heard of that size. Would you kindly confirm that for me? Thanks. I want to make this tomorrow.

21. Sherry says

how much butter did you use? 1 1/2 cubes?? Did you put all 36 rolls into one 13×9 pan? Thanks. I am definitely going to make this.

22. Linda C. says

I believe we use the word “stick” for “cube” of butter. The tablespoon totals turn out the same — 12 T. butter for 1 1/2 “cubes” or “sticks” of butter.

23. Anita says

Would it work to make these the night before and bake in the morning?
    Thanks!
    Anita

• Marsha says

Yes you can make these the night before! Been doing it for years. Use whole rolls frozen. I dip the frozen rolls in melted butter before rolling in cinnamon sugar. Then I put half the syrup in bottom of Bundt pan. Layer rolls and pour remaining sauce. Leave out on stove all night. They will thaw and rise. Bake in morning!

• DeeDee says

I was wondering the same thing. But, the only way I can see it working with year rolls, is if you follow her time table. Then, cover and refrigerate overnight. Otherwise it will rise and get overly fluffy.

24. I would drizzle some frosting over the top of these just to make them a little more decadent,doesn’t it sound yummy!!

25. sherry says

My rolls did not rise during baking and the rolls were hard, any thoughts? I was so looking forward to this recipe and it smelled so good.

• Joy Cochrum says

Sherry, did you find out what happened to recipe? I’m getting ready to make it myself. Thanks!

26. Shirley Whittier says

I just used (baked) Rhodes cinnamon rolls.The packaging said they could be made into monkey bread. In the past i’ve made monkey bread in a bunt pan.

27. Sharon S Norden says

I add pecans on the bottom of the pan and invert it on a plate or pan when done. I have also put them in the bundt pan. Both ways are delicious. I have to cut the recipe down because it is only me here to eat it. I have a small oval casserole dish that I use just for me.

28. Christie Cochell says

I enjoyed this recipe as it does not call for vanilla pudding mix which I rarely have on hand. I followed the recipe except that I thawed my rolls in the fridge overnight. Snipped then in 4, rolled in the sugar mixture and put them in a well sprayed Bundt pan which I then covered in plastic wrap and let the rolls rise about 30 minutes. Poured the hot brown sugar mixture over top. Came out really beautifully when flipped over onto a large platter after cooking for 35 minutes. I did line the rack below with foil and was glad I did but there was not much spillage. Thank you!